Sunday 1 July 2007

EDM #125 Draw a bird


Thanks everyone for the great encouragement on my first two posts. I meant to post regularly but in reality it looks like, at best, I will be an erratic blogger!

This is a drawing of a black and white Australian Magpie from our backyard this morning. There are 4 or 5 of these in our yard every day and they dominate the other birds. These are one of the most common and widespread birds in Australia. We live in a rural area and our house is surrounded by a pocket of bushland so we get a wide range of birds including some very attractive and interesting ones. Most are very difficult to draw as they flit in and out again.

As with all the ink drawings I have posted (except the baby) I have not made a preliminary pencil sketch - just jumped in and hoped for the best. This adds a little spice to the process and keeps it all pretty loose.

5 comments:

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Love the lines and hatching you have used here.

Serena Lewis said...

Very nice work, Ian ~

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

THis is soo cool...LOVE this sketch...the crosshatching...so interesting

Tracy said...

i love this - the crosshatching is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Magpie is what my friends call me, so I'm partial to this drawing. lol! Great, great work!