Sunday 1 July 2007

EDM #76 Draw some flowers

I've always had a soft spot of thistles (excuse the pun). My much loved grandfather emigrated to Australia from Scotland as a young man. I have always identified with my Scottish heritage and so was enthralled, as a schoolboy, with the tale of how the thistle became the national emblem of Scotland.

You probably know the yarn already, but, just in case, the story goes that a Viking raiding party was trying to effect a surprise attack on a group of Scottish fighting men who were resting in a field one night. In the interest of stealth the Norsemen had removed their boots. When they stumbled onto a patch of thistles their cries warned the Scot's who went on to defeat them. To this day the thistle is the universal symbol of Scotland

12 comments:

Shelly McC said...

drawing!

Lin said...

BEAUTIFULLY DONE!! Love the story too ---!

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

I didn't know the thistle story, but am glad to read it. Thanks! Around here thistles are considered weeds, but when they house goldfinches, I think they are beautiful.

Jenny said...

Very nice drawing and colors. Excellent shading with both. Thanks for the story.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

lovely colours in this one, and in your last post too.

Lynn said...

This is really well done, as is the previous one for "yellow". I enjoyed both the drawing and the story.

Serena Lewis said...

Great job, Ian! I didn't know the story either, though I should, being that my Mum is Scottish. :)

juj said...

Thanks for the story - I had no idea. Lovely sketch - love the simple lines and color. Thistles are such interesting flowers, and you've done a great job with this one.

Teri said...

Thistles are so pretty and you have realy captured that so well. Love the story also.

brian nelson said...

Nicely done! I visited Tamworth once in the early 70's. Nice place!

Anonymous said...

Great work on the thistle and the landscape. Beautiful colors. I'd heard the story of thistle before as my husband's grandfather emigrated from Scotland and told the kids lots of stories. But, it's always good to hear it again.

Jennings said...

I love this thistle! I have a thistle watercolor in our house at the coast, but I like yours better, esp since it came with a story. :o)