Tuesday 24 July 2007

Tasmania


My wife and I had a great holiday break in Tasmania earlier this month. Good food and amazing scenery. I even managed a little sketching.

We stayed in a great little cottage in the pretty seaside village of Swansea.

I also made a quick pen and wash sketch of the cottage in the little guest book.


We also sampled plenty of the local coffee and I squeezed in a couple of pen sketches. This was the first time I have sketched people (or bottles) in public.


I visited Hobart Art Gallery and made this 30 minute pencil sketch of a statue.


After we returned I had a chance to do this pen and ink wash of Coles Bay from a photo. The rocky peaks are called The Hazards. This was my first attempt at this media and I am interested in pursuing it further.


On the way home I made a few quick pen sketches of my son Start reading a comic. He kept changing position every minute or so.

8 comments:

Claudia said...

The sketches turned out very well; especially the cottage in black and white and the statue!

Claudia said...

...I forgot to mention the pen and ink sketch: wonderfully done, especially the sky! I think, pen and ink washes are a good practice for seeing tones and values!

Linda T said...

These sketches are really good. I enjoyed them.

caseytoussaint said...

Looks like a great holdiay - and your sketches are a real treat. I really like your drawing style - thanks for posting them.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for tackling so many new things. Good work!

Lynn said...

Those are all excellent! I really like the one of Cole's Bay. You managed to convey so much information using only two colors. It's beautiful.

Linda said...

Wonderful sketches! I particularly like the figure sketch and the pen and wash landscape.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful sketches. Beautiful scenery!