Tuesday 19 June 2007

My first Everyday Matters (EDM #123) - Draw a bell


I have just joined a Yahoo group called Everyday Matters . Sometimes I prefer to think of it as Every day Matters.

I am still working out what it's all about but if I get the gist it is a community of people who enjoy drawing. They often maintain sketch diaries or illustrated journals that record everyday images from their lives. Many also post their drawings to Blogs such as this.

Some also participate in various drawing challenges, including the weekly challenge which involves drawing on a particularly subject or theme. Thus this is EDM #123.

My wife bought this lovely little bell in Brisbane a couple of years ago. As a teacher, she sometimes has used it to to bring a class of small rioters to heel.

Like the previous post it was drawn with a fine, water fast, felt tip pen and coloured with watercolour wash. These represent a couple of my first ever attempts at this media.

15 comments:

Lin said...

Welcom to EDM, Ian --!! Nicely done bell!! I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Tracy said...

very nice
isn't this great? i'm looking forward to seeing more

Teri said...

Welcome to EDM I'm sure you will be inspired with this group. In fact, it is addicting.

Your bell is wonderfully done!! Love the shape and colors.

Sandy said...

Cool bell and nice story - welcome to EDM - this is an amazing group!!

Nina Johansson said...

Welcome to EDM. Your drawings look great, I´m looking forward to seeing some more in the near future!

Jenny said...

Nice use of color. The EDM challenges are a lot of fun and a great way to hone your skills.

R K said...

I am also a relatively new member to this (or any) art group and have been the grateful recipient of alot of spontaneous support and encouragement.
There is some serious talent at work in this group and judging from your initial offerings...you'll fit right in!

Lynn said...

It's a lovely bell, Ian, very well done. Welcome to the EDM group, I look forward to seeing more of your sketches

"Joy" said...

Good job on the Bell! I love the wide, heavy lines of it! The drawing of the baby is simple and elegant. I'm sure the parents were thrilled with such a precious gift! Can't wait to see more of your work! Joyce

caseytoussaint said...

Hi - and welcome. I love your drawing style too - glad to have you as a member.

juj said...

Welcome to the group Ian - you've made a lovely introduction with your beautiful bell and birthday picture. I really like your line work - you have such a sure hand. I suspect you are not as green as your blog title suggests!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to EDM! Beautiful bell sketch. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Alison said...

Welcome to EDM - drawing 'everyday stuff' is such a pleasure. Alison in Canberra

Serena Lewis said...

Welcome to EDM, Ian ~

What a lovely bell but, of course, it came from Brissie so I could be a tad biased. lol Great job!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.